Archive for April, 2012
To view a full message header in Outlook (with all the technical details tracing the message’s path), do the following:
1. Open a message by double-clicking it.
2. Click the File tab to open the Backstage View.
3. Finally, click the Properties button.
4. When the Properties dialog appears, navigate to the Internet Headers field at the bottom of the dialog. You can use the scroll bar to view the entire header.
If you prefer, you can add a button to the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) that will enable you to view a message’s headers without opening the message. To do so:
1. Right-click the QAT, then click Customize Quick Access Toolbar (alternatively, click the down-pointing arrow to the right of the right-most icon on the QAT, then click More Commands).
2. When the Outlook Options dialog opens, navigate to the upper left side of the main screen. Click the “Choose commands from“ drop-down and change the display from “Popular Commands” to “All Commands.“
3. In the command list below the drop-down, scroll about halfway down to “Message Options.”
4. Click to select it, then click the “Add” button in the center of the screen. That will add it to the commands listed on the right side under “Customize Quick Access Toolbar.”
5. If you like, move the “Message Options” icon up (which will position it farther to the left on the QAT) by clicking the “Up” arrow to the right of the “Customize Quick Access Toolbar” box.
6. When you’ve finished, click “OK” to save your changes.
You’ll see the “Message Options” icon on the QAT. To view a message’s headers, click to select the message, then simply click the “Message Options” icon.
To all of my readers:
Apologies for the dearth of new posts lately. For the past several weeks, I have been involved in preparations for a Windows 7 / Office 2010 rollout at a large law firm in Southern California, and that has left me little time to research and write new material for the blog. Thanks so much for being patient.
Although the project might go on for a while, I am hoping to find a block of time over a weekend (not this one, alas) to do some writing.
In the meantime, I want to remind people that, contrary to what they might have read, both my Word 2007 book and my Word 2010 book are still available. You can buy (slightly) updated editions on Amazon here: Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007 and here: Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010. The older editions remain available on Lulu.com here: Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007 and here: Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010.
Keep in mind that you can see a preview of selected portions of the books by visiting their Lulu pages.
Note that the book prices are identical on Amazon and Lulu: $35.95 for the Word 2007 book and $41.95 for the Word 2010 book. (Please don’t pay hundreds of dollars for either book on the obsolete Amazon pages, where third-party sellers are offering the older versions of the books — identical to what you can get from Lulu for less than $42.00 — for upwards of $500.00!)
As always, I appreciate your support.